Know the Signs of Flood Damage Before You Buy Junk Cars
Read this tip to make your life smarter, better, faster and wiser. LifeTips is the place to go when you need to know about Buying a Junk Car and other Junk Yard topics.
How can I check to make sure when I buy junk cars that the car has not been damaged by flooding?
You can save a lot of money if you buy junk cars or salvage cars, but you should be aware of what to look for in a junk car. Many of these cars have been damaged in floods, and it can be very difficult to see the damage. Here's what to look for:
- Look underneath the seats, in the glove compartment, trunk and dashboard to see if you can see any signs of water damage, including rust and mud or dirt.
- Smell the car with the doors and windows closed. Does it smell musty or moldy?
- Check the upholstery and carpets. If they look stained or faded, they may have been damaged by water and if they don't match the rest of the interior, they could have been replaced to hide the damage.
- Turn on the ignition and make sure all the warning lights come on and are working. Check the outside lights, too, along with other electrics, like windshield wipers and the cigarette lighter.
- Always run the car through at least one used vehicle database to make sure the vehicle has not been damaged in some way.
If you follow these steps, you can avoid a lot of problems when you buy junk cars!