Junk Your Car And Make A Tax Claim

Read this tip to make your life smarter, better, faster and wiser. LifeTips is the place to go when you need to know about Junk Yard Towing and other Junk Yard topics.

Can I claim a tax deduction if I donate a car to charity worth over five hundred dollars?

Junk Your Car And Make A Tax Claim

Did you know that you can claim tax deductions for car donations valued at more than $500? Once you've decided to make the important decision to have your junk car removed and donated to charity, there are a few things you can do to claim a tax deduction. The first thing you're going to need to do is obtain a written acknowledgement signed by the charity. This information should be attached to Form 1098-C, Contributions of Motor Vehicles, Boats and Airplanes. In addition, you'll need to include the gross proceeds of the sale, the vehicle identification number and a statement certifying that the vehicle was sold between unrelated parties.

The IRS offers a valuable website where more information can be obtained about car donations. You can get help with a variety of issues, have questions answered via email and much more. It might sound like a lot of legwork to get your claim submitted, but with some pre-planning and a little organization, it should be hassle-free. If you're unsure of something, always check with your accountant. They're the best experts available and can save you a lot of headaches down the road.



Nobody has commented on this tip yet. Be the first.


URL: (optional)


Not finding the advice and tips you need on this Junk Yard Tip Site? Request a Tip Now!

Guru Spotlight
George Sayour